After the Riots conference photos
Photos from the After the Riots conference, 21st January 2012
Headlines from the day include:
- A clear commitment that we need to avoid repetition of these events, but uncertainty of how to achieve this
- A sense of disengagement of children and young people, sometimes from families, sometimes from education, sometimes from the police, sometime from politicians
- Parents wanting to support children and young people, but may also need support themselves in order to do this.
- Low expectations of children and young people combined with limited ambitions and a lack of career opportunities.
- Labelling of children and young people persists.
- A group of young people together do not always equal a gang
- Education, schools, colleges need to have a wider role in promoting ambition and aspirations in young people.
- We need to remember that faith groups already provide a range of activities and support to young people.
- A variety of reasons why people got involved in the riots. Some of this was about protest and disenchantment, but some there was also greed, stupidity and loss of morality.
- Overwhelming support for a public enquiry to help better understand the causes of the disturbances August 2011.
- The persistence race inequality appears to be one of the features of the riots.
- The persistence of inequality may have had a particular impact on African Caribbean communities.
- Who was providing leadership was a key question as was where the leaders of the future would come from.
The Foundation will be producing a more detailed summary as well as video of the event. We will are discussing with our partners how issues raised on the day are addressed.