Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities to offer FREE under-five parenting courses in Middlesbrough, Camden and High Peak.
Posted on Wed 23 May 2012
The Race Equality Foundation is to offer a free version of the Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities parenting programme to parents of under-fives in Middlesbrough, Camden and High Peak. It is hoped that parenting classes will become as commonplace as antenatal classes, offering anyone involved with raising an under-five the opportunity to talk about the challenges and pick up useful tips.
As part of a recently launched government pilot scheme “CANParent”, the initiative is based on the theory that happy confident mums and dads have happy confident children.
Parents or carers can pick up their vouchers at Boots, Community Centres and doctors surgeries. The vouchers are worth £100. This covers the cost of the specially designed Strengthening Families course. This course is based on the national Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities programme. Parents can register now at www.strengthening-families.org.uk.
This course is suitable for people from ALL backgrounds, and ALL types of family (single parents, grandparents, step-parents, mums, dads, siblings and child-minders). It provides practical solutions to the everyday challenges all parents face such as tantrums and coping with sleepless nights.
The SFSC course can be completed online, or in a group, or a combination of both. The local groups will run at a variety of convenient times, and the online course can be completed at home at their own pace.
The course is very useful for everyone looking after a baby or toddler. It is easy to follow, using videos and typical everyday examples, to build on the carer’s experience, all designed to increase parents’ confidence.
Mumsnet will provide follow-on forums for the Strengthening Families course, so parents can carry on sharing experiences, and get further support.
Jabeer Butt from the Race Equality Foundation said
- 'We're delighted to be able to offer a range of courses that are a real step forward in providing universal, inclusive and accessible support to parents and know that by working with Mumsnet parents will be able to continue sharing their experiences even after the courses have finished.'
Justine Roberts of Mumsnet said:
- ‘Courses like ‘Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities’ can help make parents’ lives easier, but so far have been hard to access or expensive. It's great that all parents in the trial areas can now benefit from a course that can help with the everyday challenges of being a parent. And by logging on to Mumsnet they can continue to swap experiences with other parents even after the course has finished.’
Local parents who have attended said:
- 'The course has given me the confidence to make choices in how I bring up my children, stay with them and be happy about them.’
- ‘I have found myself more able to turn to people around me for help and support.’
For more information, please:
- See Strengthening Families Strengthening Communities project pages
- Contact us on Twitter @ref_sfsc using the hashtag #CANparent
- Register for the programme at www.strengthening-families.org.uk.