Delivering SFSC in areas affected by Gangs, Guns and Knife Crime
Please note that normally, this course is charged at £150 per person, but is free on this occasion.
This one day workshop examines the violence prevention aspects of the SFSC programme and how they can meet the needs of families living in areas affected by gang, gun and knife crime.
The workshop aims to:
- explore the evidence on community violence, including gang information
- explore the impact of violence upon families and relationships, from both a historical and contemporary perspective
- share good practice when safeguarding and promoting a violence-free lifestyle
- overcome the challenges facilitators may encounter when discussing violence
- boost facilitator confidence in delivering SFSC, even when facing opposition from parents, practitioners or their own values
- work through the film and written resource to ensure easy use when delivery programmes.
Qualifications and experience needed
This course is intended for practitioners who have previously completed the five day SFSC training programme.
Format of the day
This one day course will include presentations of research evidence, opportunities for individuals to reflect upon possible practical and strategic developments in their own work, exploration of dedicated film and written resources.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to
- confidently support parents when discussing, addressing and reflecting upon issues relating to gangs, guns and knives;
- share evidence around risk and prevention
- work with parents who may be uncomfortable or confrontational when discussing their experiences of violence and violence prevention
- feel confident in using the new film and written resources with the existing curriculum.
Benefits of the day
- up-to-date, relevant and evidence-based information
- taking home a copy of the film and written resource
- expert trainers
- opportunities for reflection
- meeting others, often from different agencies but with shared interests
- using learning for continuous professional development.